Ovid wrote:
----- Original Message ----

In the pir, doesn't the "s = self" line copy self, thus ensuring that I'm changing "s" and not "self"?
No, it's binding.

Or do I need "s = clone self" (or however it's written).

Yeah, but also note that substr would return a copy...

Can't say I really like the negated options though.  They smell funny.

Agreed, but ltrim and rtrim will disappoint Israelis and dyslexics alike.
Suggestions welcome as I can't think of anything better.

The .Net framework calls 'em TrimStart and TrimEnd (and has a Trim that does both). So maybe trim_start and trim_end if we wanted to take that lead...

Jonathan