----- Original Message ----

> From: Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagalt...@gmx.de>

> > I like Jonathan's trim_start and trim_end.
>
> Let me ask you first: does a string that runs Right-to-Left start
> at the left and end at the right or start at the right and end at
> the left?
>
> Now to answer your question, *I* know where the *left* side is in
> a string that runs from right to left: it’s at the *left*, same
> as if the string ran from the left to the right, because left is
> at the *left*.
>
> :-)

I see your point, but it complicates the internals of the trim method because
then I have to detect if a string is RTL and reverse it, then unreverse it when
done (or something conceptually similar).

I'd rather not toss in said complications for a problem space I don't know very
well.

On the other hand, this is a core feature, not a quick CPAN jobbie, so it's
important to get it RIGHT or it will be LEFT out.  (I kill me.  I really do :)

Beers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/