On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Richard Hainsworth <rich...@rusrating.ru>wrote:

It is normally implied that a program already has a 'local' environment,
> including a 'local' filesystem. Thus the syntax
> my $fn = open('/path/to/directory/filename', :r) or die $!;
> implies a local file sytem.
>
> The idea of an implied local system suggests an implied local environment.
> The contents of %*ENV and @*INC seem to be assumed to be local, thought this
> is not specified. Given the development of the internet, this is an
> assumption I think should be made implicit, as well as the mechanism for
> adding remote resources via paths through a network.
>
> Would it make sense to define $*FS as the implied local file system, and
> thus that a bare 'open' is sugar for
> my $fh = $*FS.open('/path/to/directory/filename', :r);

Yep, that makes perfect sense. Once I have a working VFS object that could
be stored in there, that's probably the best way to go, unless someone
proposes another way between now and then.

--
Aaron Sherman
Email or GTalk: a...@ajs.com