On Sun, 16 May 2004, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Would you please tell me why "Iranian" is not perfect?
Because it's hard to please everyone at all times. Maybe some Baluchi
tribesman won't appreciate being lumped with "Iranian." Maybe someone from
Afghanistan, not having heard this discussion and how hard it is to
find a name will say, "Oh, so those "guys at Sharif" think we are now a
subset of Iran, eh?" (I think that's why Omid was going with "Persian!")
And then there are the people who will also use this .Net data who know
nothing about the region at all and all these names are a big blur...
There is "Iranian" in the modern sense and then there is the broader,
historic "Iranian" and someone who thinks the naming decision was made
carelessly and without taking cultural sensitivites in mind, will find
some way to make a fuss.  Whatever you choose, better put a lengthy
footnote and disclaimer.
That said, I truly do think "Iranian" is best.

> > "Daddy, look over there. There's some Persians speaking Farsi!"
> :))))

I thought you'd like that!

-Connie