Hi there,

I think Connie's answer is well put. I just need to make a note to clarify
a point. Quoting Behdad Esfahbod:

> I guess I did my part on showing the community, including Dr
> Pedram Safari, that the claim by Masoud Hashemi regarding
> authoring the dictionary which is apparently Aryanpour, is not
> justified.

I am sorry, Behdad, but I was not a bit convinced -- as far as I can
recall, you couldn't even tell which version and which edition of
Aryanpours dictionary was used. Besides, I am informed that some
translations are changed or updated, and the dictionary is amenable to
further changes, as the source is open and has been used by many, not just
irmug (I do not have a full list now and have to trace my communications).
Given this, I believe it would be a matter of concern (and even fairness)
if such a democratic dictionary is falsely attributed to Aryanpours.

In any case, I would like to testify again that the "program" is written
by Masood Hashemi, so there is no copyright infringement if his share in
this work, and his willingness to make it available to the public, is
acknowledged and appreciated. There has been no official claim yet by
anyone on the source of the "database" (I think Majid Khanban said that he
supervised a project by Masood Hashemi and someone else from which this
database came out, but he couldn't recall the name of the other person, am
I right, Majid?). Neither any official claim by anyone on the dictionary
"content", unless you, Behdad, are Aryanpours' official attorney.

As I had promised before, I would give appropriate credits in my
dictionary page to the person who could produce convincing proof of
his/her involvement in that project.

Regards,
Pedram

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> [...]
>
> I appreciate it if when you are mentioning this "Iranian Mac
> Users Group"  on any of your pages, you also mention there that
> their dictionary available for download is infringing copyright
> of the Aryanpours, and the credits went to Masoud Hashemi are not
> justified.
>
> I guess I did my part on showing the community, including Dr
> Pedram Safari, that the claim by Masoud Hashemi regarding
> authoring the dictionary which is apparently Aryanpour, is not
> justified.  Whether people remove the dictionary from their pages
> or not is up to them.
>

> --behdad

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, C Bobroff wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > their dictionary available for download is infringing copyright
> > of the Aryanpours
>
> What I understood from that discussion was that a lot of online
> dictionaries are using Aryanpour data with no mention of the name
> Aryanpour. Others mention Aryanpour but no sign that the Aryanpour estate
> is getting any royalties or even that permission was asked or granted to
> use their data. Then I even noticed this one:
> http://www.aryanpour.com
> where I'm not even sure any Aryanpour data was used!
>
> Since the Aryanpour family was in the dictionary business before anyone
> could foresee the computer age and with Iranian copyright laws being what
> they are, I'm not sure even that legally speaking, these people are
> breaking any laws. This data falls into a grey zone.
>
> Now, morally speaking, I must say in principle, it is horrible to take
> someone else's labor without permission, especially when the Aryanpour
> family is still around and still making dictionaries.  I would like to
> know if they care or are they so big and famous that this is of no
> concern? Or maybe they are wringing their hands in despair that no one
> cares and then they'll thank you, Behdad!  Why doesn't someone go knock on
> their door and ask for an official statement! I am sure curious to know!
>
> I don't think the Iranian Mac Users Group is any more or less guilty than
> all the others using the Aryanpour data and unless the Aryanpour family or
> their lawyers issue a directive, I can't do anything but urge people to
> say where they got the data and also join in this and other discussions
> because we are now entering the age of the database when all kinds of
> things are going to go online and I'm sure everyone would like to feel
> good about what they're doing. I think it's a good thing that nowadays
> there are EULA's, etc where the owner can explicitly say what may or may
> not be done with the property.
>
> By the way, does anyone know of a Persian online dictionary which gives
> any sort of pronunciation or transliteration info in Latin script? I mean
> besides the Steingass and besides this one:
> http://iranianlanguages.com/dictionary.php?eng-per which is obviously
> being developed with much care and attention to quality but still seems to

I do not know about pronunciation, but the dictionary at
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~safari/dictionary/
(which was discussed above) is transliteration-based (using the so-called
"mikhi" alphabet, available on the right side of the page), if that is
what you want. It is platform-independent, as well as use-to-use
(clickable).