On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 07:46, C Bobroff wrote:
> Now,I wonder if some of you who are so experienced technically could do
> another dictionary project? At least as far as getting the data up in a
> legal way and then others could make the interface according to the needs
> of the target audience and connect with English and other languages.
> For example, I  think this very nice dictionary is a complete waste as it
> is available only in printed form in unmanageable 8 volumes:
> AUTHOR       Anvari, Hasan
>  TITLE        Farhang-e bozorg-e Sokhan / beh sarparasti-e Hasan Anvari
>  PUBL INFO    Tehran : Sokhan, 1381 [2002]
> ISBN         9646961983 (set)
>
> It is in very clear typesetting, has latin transliteration, many idioms
> (estellah), examples of how to use in sentences, new words, dialect
> variations, etc.

There are many claims that this doesn't add anything to the Mo'in
Persian dictionary, and is a real waste of paper and shelf space. I've
heard oral critiques by Dr Masoumi-Hamedani (head of the Persian
Academy's Language and Computer group) and Mr Pourmomtaz (a linguist,
and the head of "tarh-e jaame'-e kaarbari-e zabaan-e faarsi"). I'm not
into the game of ethymology etc, but can ask the people who claimed such
for more details, if you insist.

> I'm sure this dictionary must have been funded by the Iranian government
> and no profits expected.

This was funded by a private publisher, as far as I know.

roozbeh