From: "Louis Sorkin" [sor...@amnh.org]
Date: 10/11/2012 09:40 AM
To: "pestlist@museumpests.net"
Subject: RE: [pestlist] Brown Recluse

I believe Loxosceles reclusa, which would be called the Brown Recluse Spider,
is the only species in the genus that occurs in Oklahoma.  We have had
introduced species such as L. rufescens, the Mediterranean Recluse, in a few
locations in NYC and these are established populations.  American roaches are a
favorite food source. Tom also had collected this species from the Philadelphia
area (he sent me specimens years ago).   There have been very few introductions
of the Brown Recluse into NYC .  Loxosceles spiders can also go long periods of
time without feeding.  Spiders in general have slow metabolisms.Actually the
number collected by glue traps might not make a dent in the actual population.
Here’s an example from around 2002 (J. Med. Entomol. 39(6): 948-951(2002))
where a colleague of mine investigated.  A person had been bitten during the
time when the collecting process was undertaken, but not while living in the
home. The spiders were both collected from glue boards (+- 800) and searched
out (+- 1200) and hand collected.  You might want to read the article – there’s
a description of the home and construction details.Online reference to
story:Over a 6 month period, “…2,055 brown recluse spiders collected in a
Kansas home of a family of four. Despite the abundance of spiders, no one in
the family received bites from the potentially dangerous arachnids.”Lou Louis
N. Sorkin, B.C.E.Entomologist, ArachnologistDivision of Invertebrate
ZoologyAmerican Museum of Natural HistoryCentral Park West at 79th StreetNew
York, New York 10024-5192sorkin@amnh.org212-769-5613 voice212-769-5277 fax The
New York Entomological Society, Inc.www.nyentsoc.org n...@amnh.org    From:
ad...@museumpests.net [mailto:ad...@museumpests.net] On Behalf Of
bugma...@aol.com