Zpest was intended as a simple program that was more advanced than an Excel
spreadsheet but since it is free… was never intended to be the answer to all
issues!  Zak software also offers a much more comprehensive program available
by subscription service that you can learn more about at www.collectionpests.com

Building a good Access database can be done, but it is time consuming.  AMNH
developed a database and a presentation on its development and implementation
was given at the 2003 SPNHC annual meeting and a pdf including screen shots and
other useful information is available on the MuseumPests.net site

http://museumpests.net/monitoring-record-keeping-and-reporting/

Eventually we did find that the database becomes less stable when you get
thousands of records input.  This seemed to be a known Access issue rather than
one specific to the particular database design.

The IPM-WG looked into trying to develop one of the databases created by its
members for broader use but the realities of the time and finances involved in
taking a product like that forward were not realistic.  For KE EMu collection
database users there is a pest module developed by the Natural History Museum
London and other institutions based on the collaborative work done by the
IPM-WG Data Collection subgroup.

For institutions interested in developing their own databases the MuseumPests
site has a page on suggested data fields.  Here is the website blurb on the
downloadable document…

The goal of the Database Field List document created by members of the IPM-WG
is to identify those fields that are most important for tracking pest
observation data in a new pest database.  The fields have been divided into
four categories: mandatory, suggested, optional and not recommended. It must be
remembered that every institution has different needs and goals, so as you
design your database, your task will be to select the fields that fit your
institution’s needs. There may also be fields not found on this list that you
will want to include, but please remember that by keeping your database simple,
you will increase its usability.

The document is available on the Record Keeping and Reporting page in the
Monitoring section of www.museumpests.net (same link as above).

I hope that if you do develop your own database you will consider doing a
write-up that can be added to the website.

Best,

Rachael

IPM-WG Co-Chair

Rachael Perkins Arenstein

A.M. Art Conservation, LLC

Conservation Treatment, Preservation Consulting & Collection Management

 <http://www.amartconservation.com/> www.amartconservation.com