On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:11:04AM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:

> Ok, I'll refine my question (after reviewing the tarball).  Any chance
> that the related functionality provided by netfilter (--limit) will be
> built into PF in future releases.  Obviously, this type of feature still
> has its limitations when your T1/E1/T3/E3 is being saturated by a
> thousand different source addressed garbage streams, but it would be
> nice nonetheless.

If I understand it correctly, netfilter's --limit is used to limit the
number of concurrent connections per source (or destination) address.

This feature has been suggested and discussed before (on misc@, I
think), and we weren't sure whether it belongs into the kernel itself.
Keeping per-source/-destination statistics can be memory and cpu
expensive, and there would be no real downside to doing it in a generic
userland proxy.

Except, maybe, for the fact that you lose the real source addresses for
logging, which could be solved with embryonic states, but I didn't
mention that now ;)

A generic userland proxy could do all sorts of nice things, like
throttle connections and throughput, based on source/destination
addresses and blocks of addresses, etc.

Daniel