On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 08:32, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, netfilter's --limit is used to limit the
> number of concurrent connections per source (or destination) address.

Yup, per the iptables manpage (sorry jolan, here it comes again):

   limit
       This module matches at a limited rate using a token bucket
filter.   A rule  using  this  extension  will  match  until  this limit
is reached (unless the ‘!’ flag is used).  It can be used in combination
with  the LOG target to give limited logging, for example.

       ‐‐limit rate
              Maximum  average  matching  rate: specified as a number,
with an optional ‘/second’, ‘/minute’, ‘/hour’, or  ‘/day’  suffix;
the
default is 3/hour.

       ‐‐limit‐burst number
              Maximum  initial  number  of  packets to match: this
number gets recharged by one every time the limit  specified  above  is
not reached, up to this number; the default is 5.

-J.