Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Daniel Hartmeier:
> Actually, checking some statistics, the spews list catches a significant
> percentage of spam coming directly from open relays. The spam that still
> gets through is coming mostly from mailing list servers. These are not
> open relays, they merely don't filter spam as rigorously as I might want
> to. I can either unsubscribe or filter them based on content. But adding
> the mailing list servers to the spammer list would be wrong, of course.

the main problem is that all of the MX hosts for the
domain(s) covered by the mail server running spamd
have to filter the same list of ip addresses.
otherwise they just remail it to the lower priority
MX when it fails w/ the higher one and it goes through.

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)