Hi, I've been directed here from a FreeBSD newsgroup about this
question. I've checked the archives, but found nothing relevant.

Background: I'm upgrading to FreeBSD 6.0-release and want to move from
ipf to pf to get the extra flexibility pf offers.

However, I have concerns about the security of pf at system startup and
when the config file is unusable. In my present /ipf/ setup, the kernel
itself is configured to block packets by default, so until ipf starts
successfully and unblocks things, the machine (which is the
gateway/firewall to my home LAN) is guaranteed secure. In particular,
if the config file fails to load for any reason, the firewall fails to
a secure mode.

As far as I can see with pf though, the system is wide open until the
pf config file is loaded successfully. Ordinarily, pf would be started
before any services, so it shouldn't normally matter. But under fault
conditions, and in particular should the pf config file be unusable for
any reason, it seems that my firewall could be wide open, unnoticed,
for an indefinite period.

Could anyone offer advice please, and perhaps set my mind at rest?
Thanks in advance for any comments.
--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key