Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
I don't know how is a sleep of 1 second going to be harmful here instead of
keeping a busy wait.

Even if a=b is going to take 1 week as u say, isn't a sleep of 1 second, if
nothing, would save some CPU resources instead of blindly looping for ever ?
Aren't busy waits dangerous from CPU resources point of view ? Won't it keep
my CPU busy for ever. Also, if there's a sleep of 1 second, is it going to
give me some saving in CPU resources or not ?

It's not the sleep that people are saying is harmful. It's the waiting in a loop in a transaction.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd