So, I needed to build a special PG, for use with xTuple (an ERP).  I got the
8.4.4 source, dumped it in a directory in my home, and put the executable out
on a non-standard directory on one of my SSD.

Reading Greg Smith's "High Performance..." book, suggested that I needed the
postgresql-contrib thingees.  Synaptic (ubuntu 10.04) had it listed, so I went
ahead.  I didn't notice that it would do an install of all 8.4!!!

>From that point forward, I would get a terminal error message about not being
>able to start PG whenever Synaptic did an update (no "server.key").  I've
>uninstalled all of PG, and need to do it again, but I'll need the contrib
>source, and I don't find it anywhere.  I must not be looking in the right
>place.

Where might that be?

thanks,
robert