Yeah, I didn't realize that contrib source is in regular source download, nor
did I notice that Synaptic was installing its own version of PG.  The bulb
wasn't lit.  In all, I think I should have had two installs of PG; the one I
built from source way back when (and stored out of standard location), and this
one.  It did, in fact build the standard version.  The only reason I noticed
was the perpetual error message about being unable to start PG due to some
"server.key" not being found whenever the repository refreshed my machine.  I
figure that it should be able to start the one it built.

I just did a complete removal, and my home brew PG still works fine.  I'll
worry about adding contrib modules later.

Robert