Sorry, it was inaccurate phrase. I mean "if the conversion to this
encoding is not avaliable". For example, when we have database in
EUC_JP and log_encoding set to Latin1. I think that we can even fall
back to UTF-8 as we can convert all encodings to it (with some
exceptions that you noticed).
So, what you wanted to say here is:

"If the conversion to this encoding is not avaliable then fall back to
UTF-8"

Am I correct?

Also is it possible to completely disable the feature?

Yes, you're. I think it could be disabled by setting log_encoding='', but if the parameter is missing then the feature should be enabled (with UTF-8).