It would be useful to know more details -- how much storage space you need for example.

fwiw I considered all of these issues when we first deployed SSDs and decided to not use RAID controllers. There have not been any reasons to re-think that decision since. However, it depends on your specific needs I think. We prefer to think in terms of a single machine as the unit of service failure -- a machine is either working, or not working, and we ensure state is replicated to several machines for durability. Therefore a storage solution on each machine that is more reliable than the machine itself is not useful.

In our deployments we can't max out even one SSD, so there isn't anything a RAID controller can
add  in terms of performance, but your case could be different.

You might also want to consider the power dissipated by the RAID controller : I was quite surprised by how much heat they generate, but this was a couple of years ago. Possibly there are lower power controllers available now.

You need the capacitor on the SSD -- a RAID controller with BBU will not fix a non-power-fail-safe SSD.