On 4/4/2014 3:57 PM, Steve Crawford wrote:
Judicious archiving allows us to keep our total OS+data storage requirements under 100GB. Usually. So we should be able to easily stay in the $500/drive price range (200GB S3700) and still have plenty of headroom for wear-leveling.

One option I'm considering is no RAID at all but spend the savings from the controllers and extra drives toward an additional standby server.

This very similar to our workload. We use a single 200G or 300G Intel SSD per machine, directly attached to the motherboard SATA controller. No RAID controller.

We run 7 servers at present in this configuration in a single cluster. Roughly 120W per box peak (8-core, 64G RAM).