On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Igor Neyman <iney...@perceptron.com> wrote:

> [...]

​Easy, yes, but at this point I'd probably resort to converting to a
length-limited text field (so as ensure toasting never occurs).​

In general, I see the main advantage of artificial PK in NO NEED to change
> multiple child tables, when NATURAL key changes in the parent table.  And I
> never saw a system where NATURAL key wouldn’t need to be changed eventually.
>
> So, my conclusion: use artificial PK (for db convenience)  and unique
> NATURAL key (for GUI representation).

​I haven't really had a chance to implement this formally but I've had
similar thoughts along these lines.  One nice thing about this, in theory,
is that you can have a different lifecycle and usage policy for those GUI
identifiers and they can be made to be inherently changeable.  A unique tag
that you can remove from one entity and reuse on a different one should the
need arise.

David J.