The PostgreSQL default configuration is very conservative so as to insure
it will work on almost any system.
However, based on your latest information, you should definitely adjust
shared_buffers = 4GB
maintenance_work_mem = 512MB

Note that you will need to restart PostgreSQL for this to take effect.