14.02.2017 1:10, Thomas Kellerer:
Nikolai Zhubr schrieb am 13.02.2017 um 23:03:
Maybe I should have been more specific.
What I need is debugging/profiling pure communication side of server
operation, implying huge lots of requests and replies going over the
wire to and from the server within some continued (valid) session,
but so that the server is not actually doing anything above that (no
sql, no locking, no synchronizing, zero usefull activity, just
pumping network I/O)

If you are willing to drop the "no sql" requirement you could use
something like

select rpad('*', 100000000, '*');

this will send a lot of data over the wire, the SQL overhead should be
fairly small.

Well yes, but I've been there already.
Now I'd like to locate a CPU eater more precisely - supposedly there is some issue with communication, that is why I don't want to mix in anything else.

Anyway, I've now got pretty sure the standard protocol out of the box does not provide such short-circuite capability so I'll have to hack it a bit.

Regards,
Nikolai

You can send more data if you combine that with e.g. generate_series()