13.02.2017 23:58, Rader, David:
How about using pg_isready?
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-pg-isready.html

But it doesn't actually communicate with the server AFAIK, just checks if a connection could be established?

Maybe I should have been more specific.
What I need is debugging/profiling pure communication side of server operation, implying huge lots of requests and replies going over the wire to and from the server within some continued (valid) session, but so that the server is not actually doing anything above that (no sql, no locking, no synchronizing, zero usefull activity, just pumping network I/O)

Regards,
Nikolai

--
David Rader