On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.john...@cox.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> v8.4.20
>
> This is what the current backup script uses:
>
> /usr/bin/psql -U postgres -c "SELECT pg_start_backup('
> Incrementalbackup',true);"
> cp -r /var/lib/pgsql/data/* $dumpdir/data/
> /usr/bin/psql -U postgres template1 -c "SELECT pg_stop_backup();"

That's fine, as long as you have a wal archive.  Although I don't know what
is "Incremental" about it.  If you upgrade to a version which wasn't quite
so ancient, you could use pg_basebackup.

> Should it use rsync or pg_dump instead?

rsync is dangerous if not used with great care, and probably isn't going to
get you much for just doing a backup.

pg_dump is also fine, but it does something different, it creates a logical
backup, not a physical backup.  The backup from pg_dump cannot be used to
seed a PITR or streaming replica.  On the other hand, it can restored into
a database from a different version and different architecture.   And with
pg_dump the pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup are useless and confusing.

Cheers