Gregory Stark wrote:
The XXX is something that probably needs to be fixed but it's just a question
of what header file to put a declaration in. I couldn't find a good choice but
perhaps someone else has an idea?

For the FIXMEs I don't have any problem leaving them in place. They're
warnings to future coders working in the same area of what they may have to do
to make the code more general. In particular both FIXMEs are related to memory
management of the iterator structures. I think just allocating them in the
bitmap memory context is fine for existing callers. I would rather leave them
there because I would like a reviewer to double check that we don't have a
memory leak there.

There are probably no rigid rules on this, but my interpretation of these tags is usually this:

XXX -- not sure if this is the best way to do this, needs ideas
TODO -- specific ideas for improvement
FIXME -- broken, must be fixed to be usable

So committed code should probably not contain any FIXMEs, but possibly some of the others.

I usually label stubs in work-in-progress code with // FIXME and then check if I removed them all before proposing a patch for inclusion.

But those are just my ideas ...