One issue with packaged multiple-version installations (practiced by Debian, Solaris, and soon Fedora?) is that the mo files (translation files) should be in a fixed location like /usr/share/locale, which does not allow PostgreSQL-version specific subdirectories.

The Debian packages solve this by appending a version number to the mo files themselves, as can be seen in this patch:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~pitti/postgresql/debian-8.3/annotate/127?file_id=03gettextdomains.pat-20060925215343-vp3e1xxgtg0tzea6-45

Solaris packaging is currently looking for a solution, and the Fedora initiative might as well? So I figured we could adopt something like the above patch as a built-in solution, as a build option or even by default.

Comments?