David Fetter wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 06:55:52PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
David Fetter wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 03:14:57PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
Hackers,

I've just had a feature request from a client that we come up with
a way to enable JSON input into hstore.  This would make hstore
much more useful for software developers.

First question: would this go in the language driver, libpq, or
the backend?  Thoughts?
The backend, ideally in some pluggable way.  XML, under proper
circumstances, should work, as should YAML, etc.
The way the standard specifies SQL/XML requires grammar support.
That  means it can't really be pluggable. We've been over this
before.

I haven't found anything about hstore in the standard, so I'm not sure
how this applies.

You're the one that mentioned the backend being pluggable w.r.t. XML among other things.

In any case, this is academic. It has become clear in off-list discussion that support for JSON input isn't really what the requestor needs. What he needs is a way to translate a Perl hashref to an hstore literal and vice versa, and Andrew Gierth has written some nice routines in Perl to do just that.

cheers

andrew