On 12/10/2010 11:19 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  writes:
So in theory we could have a GUC under "file locations" to override
this, similarly to data_directory or hba_file or ident_file.  But
since it's been like this for a really long time (I think), I wouldn't
be inclined to go monkeying with it unless more than one person
complains.
Even if we did see more than one request, I'd be inclined not to change
it.  The installation layout stuff is too complicated and fragile
already; and AFAICS it does cover every *reasonable* use case.

I agree, although I think Robert's "really long time" is in fact "since 8.0, before which we didnt provide for relocation at all."

cheers

andrew