That is preserving any resource fork, and meta-data from hfs file attributes. Also so retains the hidden file that is used by the finder to format the folder view. It doesn't need to be present I believe in order for the re-zipped app to run, however I'd just keep it for now. After you replace the image/changes and other files, just rezip it all. On the mac unzipping it and the unarchive will
do the right thing with the __MACOS__ files/folders