Hi,

I like very much the idea of Save as to provide the new version name
by default.

But, I have there is a usability problem with "Save and quit" being
spatially close to "Quit". The difference between is quite large, and
you want to use them for very different scenarios:
- I want to use "Quit" and not save when I perform experiment changes
on objects that I do not want to keep with me (for example when I have
some expensive computation  and then want to play with some variation
at the end).
- You would want to use "Save and quit" typically when you work on
code and want to keep it

The problem is that because they are close, it will be easy to click
on the other one by mistake (it happens all the time with long menu
and small fonts). So, if you really want to reintroduce "Save and
quit" it should at least not be close to "Quit". A minimal defense
would be a separator between "Save and quit" and "Quit":
        "Save"
        "Save as..."
        "Save and quit"
        -----
        "Quit"

But, here is another idea. In VisualWorks we introduced a small add-on
that prompts you to save the image after publishing in the repository,
and when closing the image. Like this we instill the good practice of
publishing and saving the code so that even if the image crashes, you
are in sync with the repository. So, as a result you can always quit
without saving.

Would it not be better to prompt for saving the image after you save
something in a Monticello repository?

Cheers,
Doru

On 11 Jun 2009, at 09:46, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> OK, here again the proposal of Lukas that I think is the best so far.
>
> ---------
> "Save"
> "Save as..."
> "Save and quit"
> "Quit"
> ---------
>
> The behavior of "Save as..." would be modified to automatically pick
> the next version number (but still lets you edit the file name). Like
> this, "Save as next version" is not needed anymore.
>
> Adrian
>

> On Jun 11, 2009, at 09:25 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> No preference. Preferences are for the weak :)
>> We want to have design decision no absence of decision by preference
>> plague.
>> So guys come up with a good solution and we will use it but no
>> preference.
>>
>> So I could not understand the proposals except this one:
>>

>>      -'Save'
>>      -'Save ...' -> 'Save as', 'Save as new version', 'Save and Quit'
>>      -'Quit'
>>

>> So  could you use this pattern to explain what you think/want?
>>
>> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."