On 26 April 2010 00:06, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 April 2010 23:45, Adrian Lienhard <a...@netstyle.ch> wrote:
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>> One question I have is how your work compares to Exupery?
>>

> Well, i missing the good Exupery description , on squeak source it says:
> A bytecode compiler for Squeak, still an alpha project. It doesn't yet
> do anything useful but it can compile most bytecodes.
> Or from wiki page:
> Exupery is a compiler written in Smalltalk that compiles bytecodes to
> machine code.
>
> So, as you can see, an Exupery aims mainly towards turning a bytecode
> into a native code, i.e. towards implementing a JIT.
> It is important to understand that NativeBoost project having a bit
> orthogonal (or more complementary) aim - to allow you to run an
> arbitrary native code and speak directly to hardware, OS etc.

Ohh.. i guess you asked about Moebius project. Sorry.

Moebius is much more ambitious project. It is a smalltalk environment
, fully implemented in itself, i.e.
which requires no VM and minimal glue code to run on target platform.

While Exupery, is still using a 'VM' concept which interpreting the
methods, while additionally providing facilities to optimize the
system speed by jitting some methods.
In moebius, all methods are initially contain a native code. There is
no interpreter. Sure it can be added later (as for any other language
interpreter btw), but that will not change the fact that system can
sustain itself and run without a need of having VM.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.