On 22.10.2010, at 10:40, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Friedrich Dominicus
> <fr...@q-software-solutions.de> wrote:
> Mariano Martinez Peck <marianop...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Friedrich Dominicus <
> > fr...@q-software-solutions.de> wrote:
> >
> >     Friedrich Dominicus <fr...@q-software-solutions.de> writes:
> >
> >     > "Schwab,Wilhelm K" <bsch...@anest.ufl.edu> writes:
> >     >
> >     >> I haven't had much trouble with it.  You can look in the inbox for
> >     >> Migrate (for how I load it) and the DolphinCompatibility package for
> >     >> things that I have added to the ODBC support.
> >     > Are there any usage examples for ODBC and Pharo or is it go out and
> > find
> >     > out yourself? And another maybe stupid question has anyone used it for
> >     > accessing .mdb databases from MS-Access?
> >     Ok i'm probabla currently a bit confused. AFAIKT the Pharo I've running
> >     here is 32-bit. My machine however is a 64-bit System, so to use the
> >     unixodbc I probably would need the 32-bit version of the unixodbc
> >     driver. Is that correct?
> >

> > Yes. Exactly. To compile ODBC you may want to try something like we did in
> > SqueakDBX:
> >
> > http://www.squeakdbx.org/SqueakDBX%20in%2064%20bits
> Thanks my confusion has not last that long. I just was puzzling why isql
> does connect but Pharo won't. Sure the reason is clear, but it has
> catched me. Fine, I'm trying to get unixodbc compiled an installed on my
> 64 bit box. I just wonder has anyone build a 64-bit Pharo?
>
> More or less. Because you need: a 64 bits VM, and a 64 bits image as much as
> I understand.
> In addition, there are certain bugs in FFI about using it in 64 bits.

You don't need a 64 bit image. If you have a 64 bit operating system than you
can only execute 64 bit executables. In linux there are 32 bit compatibility
libraries. The offer a 32 bit interface and mediate this to 64 bit. So you can
run a 32 bit vm with compat libraries or native 64 bit vm. The same goes for
code that you want to link to the vm. It needs to fit. What the vm internally
uses for its address space does not depend on this. I think that is confusing
for a lot of people that you can have a 64 bit vm with a 32 bit image.

But does anyone know what is the state of 64 bit vm executables?

Norbert