On 10/08/2011 10:42 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>>> This is IMHO more than necessary for Fuel to become a production ready
>>> serializer and I'd say Fuel is now "old enough" to become such :)
>>
>> Yes.
>> Now what I would love is that even if fuel changes that the evolution of
>> information
>> is taken into account because like that it will be exercised for real.
>>

> No, that's impossible, and if posible, it is not worth it. Migrating from an
> old format to a new one is extremelly complicated and innecessary. The
> easiest way to solve this is to take the correct version of Fuel,
> materialize the graph from the stream, load new version of Fuel, and
> seriaize it again. That the easiest, more secure, and more practical
> approach I can see.

That is horribly naïve an excludes fuel from a lot of use cases. You
can't use fuel for "archiving" objects outside of the image because you
will never know whether you will be able to read them in again because
the format changes. You will always need to have "live" ones in the image.

That means you can't use fuel for anything Monticello related because
you may never be able to load those versions in again because the file
format has changed in the mean time.

Cheers
Philippe