On 10 January 2012 14:25, Guido Stepken <gstep...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> While deciders still reflect upon what programming language and framework to
> use, thinking about Java, .NET ... , Google and Apple have set new standards
> by pushing LLVM, V8, Webkit, node.js with a tremendous amount of money to
> perfection.
>
> Look at this example:
>
> http://monocle.inventivelabs.com.au/books/dubliners
>
> An epub reader object, good example for "ambient oriended programming". The
> reader behaves like an native app, independent on architecture, processor
> and os, touch, nontouch. Simply runs in every browser. And browser has
> javascript language bindings to all hardware, GPS, barometer, wifi, GSM,
> touch interface, mouse, cam .... if available.
>
> Porting PHARO onto Amber makes sense for me. Nothing else. COGVM, browser
> plugin, touch interface, portability discussion finished! IMHO the only
> chance for Smalltalk to come to new life.

when you want to get fast somewhere you can always rent a car if you
don't have one.
but it will be very hard to convince car-rent provider to give you a
specific car, which
suits most for your needs. Because for rented cars you usually pretty
limited in choice of features available.
That's the main reason between having own VM and being able to
directly control its features,
and just running on rent car.

--
Best regards,