On 29.01.2012 19:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

No, it does not.

Please elaborate: I really can't see the difference between doing a merge
(either an easy one or a more diffucult one over multiple files, spread over a
couple of days, with intervening changes by others) using either Monticello or
Git.

The scalability limits of Monticello are well understood. PackageInfo doesn't
scale, at all. You put too many classes in a package, and snapshotting gets
really slow. Don't believe me? Make a change in Morphic which has only 200
classes and save it.

You confuse artifacts and models.
Give me 1 engineer full time and we fix that.

Linus wrote git in two weeks. We would stop all work on the kernel until we had an SCM that satisfied all this requirements including being fast and scalable. Isn't Smalltalk supposed to make you super productive?

Cheers
Philippe