I've cleaned off blue Amberols with Windex with no visible or audible
damage.  Spray on, wipe off.

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of Bruce Mercer
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 12:02 PM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: [Phono-L] Blue Amberol cleaning

I'm sure most on this group know a safe and effective way to clean a 4 min.
BA or any celluloid cylinder. Obviously do not get the interior wet but can
water on a cloth with a little dish washing detergent followed by a thorough
'rinse' and a careful cloth 'drying' be the way to go about it? Being a DD
collector I don't think celluloid would do to well using the same thing I
clean DD with. :-)
What about the earlier 4 min. black Amberols that are so fragile? Can I use
the same process and materials used for celluloid?
  I'm finally setting up my cylinder machine after Steve rebuilt the
reproducer for me. It's been stored away far too many years.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Bruce Mercer