On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:07:34 -0800 (PST), Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Ben Edwards wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:02:21 -0800, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >> You should probably use get_magic_quotes_runtime() , as _gpc only
> >> applies to GET/POST/COOKIE,
> >>
> >> htmlspecialchars  is needed so the HTML can be parsed properly:
> >
> > So this is this only done to stuff that is to be displayed on a web
> > page?  What happens if it is done to stuff that is (possibly) also
> > passed through addslashes and written to the database.
>
> Don't do it.

Don't worry, I wont.  Databases are for data.  I would'nt dream of
polluting them with HTML;)

> What if tomorrow you decide you need to output a PDF as well as your HTML
> from that same data -- You've got all those funky htmlspecialchars() in
> your database that have NOTHING to do with your data.  They are only
> needed for the HTML presentation of your data.

Seperation of data and presentation and logic, precisely.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Poole, UK, England
WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of