Hi,

> >>several classes that provide different kinds of Flash integration:
> >>http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/class/102.html

> > True, but going there has become a real pain in the ...you know where
> > coz you get a crapload of popups,

<snip>
> I understand you do not like ads. I do not like them either, but the
> truth is that if the site had no ads, it would had been closed by now
> because it takes money and all my time to keep the site up and running.
</snip>
Nobody really likes ads but we have all come to accept them to a certain
degree,
I just feel it is very unresponsible and greedy of site owners to empty a
cartload of
ads onto their site once it gets popular....the page becomes 10% of content
and 90%
advertisments.

<snip>
I am sure that most users that care about this site would not like this
site to be closed. So, think about the ads as a better solution then
having no site at all.
</snip>
I like the site too and wouldnt want it closed down, but lowering the number
of ads per
page would still keep the site running quite peacefully and money in your
pocket, with the
number of ads right now I'm betting you're looking more to saving up to buy
a Ferrari asap
than getting enough dough to run the site and a bit in your pocket.

</snip>
The good news for users that really care is that, if all goes well, in
the second semesters the site subscribers will have the option to access
the site with ads by adhereing to the paid subscriptions plan.
</snip>
Sounds good, will the developers who contributed to the site too have to pay
5$ per month
or do they get an account for free? after all, without them the number of
classes on your site
would probably be less than the number of cousins I have :-)

<snip>
Subscribers that do not want to adhere to the paid subscriptions will
still be able to access the same site resources as before, only with ads
though.
</snip>
Of course, those ads are never going to go less even after you run a paying
service, right?

<snip>
Nobody will be required to pay anything, but people that want to get rid
of the ads and benefit from other services will still have an option. I
don't know how to make it more fair than this, but I am always open to
suggestions.
</snip>
Cool, heres one: when you open your paid service lower the number of ads on
the pages
for non paying subscribers, you are making money off the paying clients...so
why not?

As for expenses...last time I checked bandwidht and hosting charges are
wayyy down,
so even if you are on a dual xion 2.8ghz with a 100mbps connection and
1000gb bandwidth
per month...it shouldnt cost you more than $337 per month
BUT, since your site is so popular and related to computing and hosting,
making a deal with the
hosting companies shouldnt be a problem at all.....which is good for you,
but still does not explain
the bonanza of ads per page.
Bandwidth shouldnt be all that much of a problem either as you have more
mirrors than a funny house
at a carnival.

<snip>
I appreciate the time and patience of people that bother to make
criticisms, especially if they show they are concerned with presenting
viable solutions for the problems that they face.
</snip>
And I appreciate you taking the time to answer my criticisms, I hope my
suggestions are viable to you
although i somehow dont think you would think so.

<snip>
> I recommended the site to a pal of mine who is starting on
> php (with just a book and a few web links, i told him to join the list if
he has probs) and he downloaded
> that cursorware or whatever from phpclasses...then i had to help him get
the crap off his machine

I am so sorry that your friend clicked on those ads and downloaded that
software, but for the record the PHP Classes does not serve any of those
downloads. As a matter of fact those ads are intermediate pages served
by the advertising agency company.
</snip>

I think thats a pretty poor excuse because you know quite well what the ad
company is going to be serving
on YOUR sites pages, those full page ads are *only* displaying the
screensavers or icons from those junk
companies that are installing spyware.
Would you say the same thing if they were serveing _hardcore porn_ pictures
from there?

The bottom line is this:
you can easily reduce the number of ads on that site without hurting
yourself in any way,
but you have decided to take the RIAA way and thump the very people who made
your product a success
just because you can and greedyness..

but please correct me if I am wrong.....anybody?

Regards,
Ryan A