Arno Kuhl wrote:
I'm getting a lot of bogus requsts in the form of
"index.php?id=http://64.15.67.17/~babysona/logo.jpg?";, sometimes more than a
hundred a day per domain. The php script catches it, logs the request, sends
an email report and replies with "access denied", but it takes processing
which I'd rather not have php busy with. (The php script rejects anything
where id=something_not_numeric.) Is there a way for apache to catch these
requests before passing it to php? Is it more efficient for apache to handle
this than php?

Arno

Yes, in Apache turn off userdir access

In your httpd.conf file do this.

UserDir disabled

That way it will not process url that starts with a tildy ~...

That should take care of it. Apache should then only report a 404 error to the error log for the given virtual host.

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare