In general, as Phpster points out, your development will take place in
directories underneath your htdocs directory, which, if you installed XAMPP
into the root directory on C:, would be something like
C:\xampp\htdocs\yourdevdirectory.

Depending on how XAMPP is configured (you can make many changes, for
example, to the Apache conf files to determine Apache's behaviour), you
would probably use a URL of http://localhost/yourdevdirectory/index.php etc
to access your actual application.

This is not to mention that you can go on to setup virtual sites, so that
you could access your site as http://yourapplicationname/index.php.

M is for Murray