On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 16:49 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:52:00AM +0100, Russell Seymour wrote:
>
> > Morning,
> >
> > I am trying to make my URLs more search engine friendly and I have come
> > up against a problem.
> >
> > I want the following URL:
> >
> >     mysite.example.com/articles/Test Story
> >
> > to be proxied to
> >
> >     mysite.example.com/index.php?m=articles&t=Test%20Story
> >

> Aside from the solution to your problem (which I don't have), you might
> want to double-check on the "search engine friendliness" of URLs which
> contain query strings. I know at one time this was the case, but the
> latest I've heard is that URLs like your second one above are completely
> okay with search engines. If someone else knows different, please speak
> up.
>
> And oh by the way, don't *ever* store a filename with a space in it on
> your computer. It's Evil(tm). I curse the idiot who first came up with
> allowing this in filenames. I have a special voodoo doll just for that
> person, when I find them. As you can see, it causes all manner of odd
> problems, no matter what OS it's on. (My local LUG list is periodically
> hit with messages from people trying to overcome the problems attendant
> to this habit.)
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster

I do a lot of research into SEO, and the only evidence I've found that
comes close to this is where a website set up a page containing a
fictional keyword in the URL, then searched for that word a week or two
later.

I don't know how valid the 'SEO friendly URLs' are though. How often
have you searched for the answer to a question online and had the top
few results turn out to be forums with dynamic query-string URLs?!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk