Glad your host got that straightened out - for future reference, an easy way
to look at the server's PHP config is to make a page using phpinfo -

<? phpinfo() ?>

It will show you whether GD (and other extensions) are installed, as well as
the image format(s) supported and whether or not Freetype support is
included.

-Andy