Yes, you answered the questions I asked, and gave the answers I suspected.

I think part of the point with Direct Threading is that you need to
explicitly tell gcc to enable it when compiling the VM, and write some
switch statements in a certain way. Haven't got my head around the
code yet. It makes quite heavy use of Macros and not many comments.