On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:57:54 +0100 (CET), Jakob Eriksson
 <ja...@aurorasystems.eu> wrote:
> Today it's Java. The PicoLisp Java is actually cool in that it allows
> you to integrate with any legacy system the customer might have in
> Java.

 I like having the possibility to make use of Java solutions (e.g. the
 Swing GUI) from Ersatz PicoLisp, but please don't tell anyone that "it
 allows you to integrate with any legacy system" before we have done any
 such integration at all! Feel free to give us an example. ;-)

> Also runtime performance is hardly an issue, given the popularity of
> languages such as Groovy, which is really slow compared to
> alternatives.
>
> I have until now ignored the state of the art with regards to the
> Java
> flavor of PicoLisp, but when reading about your job peril, I take
> more
> interest in it, since I have found that the "Java" word opens doors.
> In this case it actually is a blessing that that "Java" is such an
> ambiguous word  -  is it "Java"?  Yes, it runs on the Java runtime.
> Check.

 Do we really want to "sell" PicoLisp that way?

> The Java version opens up the path to Android jobs - and I have an
> impression that those are still a kind of Wild West. The customer
> there
> often cares very little about which tech is used - getting an app out
> quick is often what matters most.

 How quickly do you think you could get an Ersatz PicoLisp based Android
 app out? And how would that dev. time compare to what it would take to
 write a similar app in plain old Java?

> best regards,
> Jakob

 If Ersatz PicoLisp should be fit for writing the stuff that you're
 thinking of, then I think you would need some way to extend existing
 Java classes, and override existing methods. I don't think this is
 possible today. Please inform me if I'm wrong.

 /Jon