I never came up with that DEAD headline and have no idea who did and
don't agree with it.

Let's take Clojure as an example again, no one in their right mind
would think that that language would have the adoption it has if it
wasn't based on Java with easy interoperability to get at all that
legacy Java code.

Having read the whole discussion so far maybe what is needed is a
simple REST web framework that can be easy to get up and running in
order to garner more interest.

That combined with some kind of general distributed database for the
new cloudy times!