Same here, I was coming to parameter substitution by reading from a parameter file.

Here is how you declare the variable year, month and date .
A = load '/INPUTDIR/$year/$month/$date/input_test.dat' using PigStorage(' ') as (field1, field2, field3) ;

Here is how you invoke the pig script, in local mode though .
pig -param_file param_file.cfg -x local testParamFile.pig

And below are the contents of the param_file.cfg, in the same directory :
year='2010'
month='09'
date='19'

We are using Pig 0.7.0