Hey guys -

I have a script that loads a list of ~800,000 category hierarchies,
filters them a bit and streams them through a PHP script for some
quick procedural work. The file contains one column and a snippet
looks like this:

Arts
Arts/Animation
Arts/Animation/Anime
Arts/Animation/Anime/Characters
Arts/Animation/Anime/Clubs_and_Organizations
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Cels
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Models_and_Figures
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Models_and_Figures/Action_Figures
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Models_and_Figures/Action_Figures/Gundam
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Models_and_Figures/Action_Figures/Zoids
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Models_and_Figures/Models
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Models_and_Figures/Models/Gundam
Arts/Animation/Anime/Collectibles/Shitajiki
Arts/Animation/Anime/Creators
Arts/Animation/Anime/Creators/Anno,_Hideaki
Arts/Animation/Anime/Creators/Ikuhara,_Kunihiko
Arts/Animation/Anime/Creators/Miyazaki,_Hayao
Arts/Animation/Anime/Creators/Studios
Arts/Animation/Anime/Creators/Studios/Studio_Ghibli
Arts/Animation/Anime/Creators/Studios/Studio_Ghibli/Titles
Arts/Animation/Anime/Distribution
Arts/Animation/Anime/Distribution/Companies

Now I need to take it one step further. I need to get a count of how
many items are in "Arts", how many are in "Arts/Animation", etc. I
know a grouping and count is involved, but I can't wrap my mind around
how to get there since the category path depth is entirely variable
and I need these numbers relative to the "whole" (i.e. I need to know
how many times Arts/Animation/Anime appears rather than how many times
Anime appears at any level).

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Rob Wilkerson

The information transmitted in this