Hi Jean,

Thanks for offering to coordinate another "formal" swap.  You did an
excellent job in coordinating the formal swap that I took part in a couple
of years ago.

It is good that you mentioned the distinction between the formal and the
holiday swaps.  Some things I noticed that were different about them are: 1)
the the number participants; 2) the size and quality of images; 3) level of
reciprocity.  I think these are inter-related.

The rules for the holiday swap were that any number of people could sign up
for the swap, but each individual would send cards to only as many folks at
they felt they could.  If I remember correctly, there were 49 folks signed
up for the holiday swap last year.  I know that all 49 folks didn't send out
49 images.  This is OK, since it was part of the ground rules, but should be
kept in mind.

On the other hand, so many people signed up for the formal swaps that they
were broken into two or three groups based on subject.  I remember about
15 - 18 people in each group?  Some folks participated in more than one.
Each person committed to send a photo to ALL other participants.  Jean, I
know this caused you a lot of work because some folks fell way behind the
deadline and needed extra reminding.  However, everyone in the group I was
in (the self-portrait group) did participate in the end.  This was truly
remarkable and joyful.

I've also noticed that generally smaller images were sent in the holiday
swap, Christmas card size or smaller (5x7; 4x6 and down) and many were
postcards that suffered from postal handling in the winter.  The formal swap
images were generally larger, up to 8x10 and all were carefully packaged for
mailing.

I hope all this doesn't sound like sour grapes, but it is something to think
about when joining the swap.

Jean, please count me in on the formal swap.  And, if there is a holiday
swap, I'll be in that one, too!

Tom Miller