--- Greg Newberry <grnewbe...@qwest.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am brand new to Pinhole photography. I modified a lens cap for my 35mm and
> have been taking and developing the film and I'm hooked! I want to build a
> camera to shoot 8x10. I've seen some references to using Ilford multi-grade
> paper as the film and then contact printing it. Would someone explain the
> basics of this method to me, or point me to a web site? I am planning on
> building a camera around an 8x10 film holder to use either film or paper. Is
> single weight paper the best because it's thinner? Thanks in advance for any
> help.

Greg -

Although single-weight paper can be used, it has a notorious problem with
curling that can be, at best, frustrating.  If you are going the paper route, I
would recommend using standard RC paper, as the processing process is quick and
easy, and you will have a negative without curl that can be contact printed
nicely.

I would also recommend considering going with halftone film, if this is the
route you are considering.  You can handle it with darkroom light, and contact
printing it will be much easier - especially if you decide to go the
alt-processing route (I have been working on a series that I am printing with
the Van Dyke process).

Finally, don't discount using regular film.  I've been using TMax 100 in the
8X10 size to do a number of portraits, and the exposure time in the sun (for my
purposes) is around 15 seconds.  If you use paper for anything like this,
consider that you will be using it at around EI 2-6, not 100, so the exposure
time will be dramatically increased.

Cheers -

george

=====