I have a good background in this topic... managed a silver recovery
collective, wrote a newsletter called 'Photography & the Environment', did
some original research into breaking down photo chemicals with bacterial
formulations, consulted for lots of schools & labs, etc. The hard part is
that it takes a long time to tell the story and I do not believe it is
necessary to become an alarmist. So, here are a few tips that are easy to
implement...

1. If you have a municipal waste system there is usually nothing to be
worried about regarding disposal because the silver in the fixer is removed
at the waste treatment plant. However, the silver level is sometimes
regulated. Call and ask for the regulation but do not tell them you have a
darkroom, because there are many ignorant enforcers out there who can't wait
to shut you down. We can then design a method of meeting the regulation,
which will make them very happy instead.

2. The silver in photo chemicals is relatively very stable and poses no
problem when disposed of in SMALL AMOUNTS, but it's regulated using the same
laws that govern electroplating & other large industrial operations dumping
unstable forms of ionic silver. This is because the lawmakers cannot find a
way to make an exception for small users.

3. Home septic systems can be used with some precaution in order to keep
their bacteria alive. Here's a simple method to help save the life of your
septic tank:

a) pre-oxidize solutions before you flush them down the drain by letting
them stand in trays in the open air (if the solution is 1 up to inch deep,
12 hours is sufficient)... this way the solutions break down to simpler
forms before you dispose

b) add small amounts to the system slowly along with lots of water

c) do not mix developer & fixer directly because ammonia gas will form

d) if you want to remove silver from the fixer place one pad of steel wool
in a gallon of fixer and leave it in there for 24 - 48 hours for complete
silver removal (0 - 2 ppm level)... the solution can then be discarded and
the collected silver can be dried and saved or put in the solid waste for
disposal

4) the same principles work for color chemistry but those molecules are
bigger, stronger and take a longer time to break down

jim k