Hi all,

I am glad  to see your interest for Evgen Bavcar' photographs and written
works.
I have been lucky to meet him in Paris about 12 or 13 years ago when he was
the main guest of the "Mois de la photographie" in Paris.
I like very much his pictures but I am still more interested in his texts
about Art , generally speaking.
Since 1972 he was a student in "Philosophy of Aesthetics" in Université de
Paris I and in 1976 he began to work on his "Thèse de Doctorat d'Etat" (=
Thesis for becoming "national" Doctor) choosing his subject : "Art and
Society in the contemporary French aesthetics" ...
He wrote a lot and also recorded several series about artist Jackson Pollock
for the French radio broadcast channel France-Culture.
In 1992 he wrote "Le voyeur absolu"  (= the absolute voyeur) in which he
writes about his experience as a blind photographer. This leads him (and us
!) to the question  :is not photography only a mental image of the world and
only that ?  A sensual effect whose the photographic paper print would be
only a secondary phenomenon...?

For those of you who want to go deeper in the realm of "blind" photography,
I suggest the reading of a special issue of Mexican magazine   "Luna Cornea"
completely devoted to this subject with numerous texts and photographs.

Luna Cornea numero 17, April 1999. The magazine is published in Spanish with
very complete English translations in the 2nd part of the book (200 pages!).
I ordered my issue about 1 year ago at Photo-eye bookshop. Try on
www.photoeye.com.

For French reading people of our community, there has been several articles
gathered under the title  "de l'Aveuglement  (= about blindness) in the
January 2001 issue of French magazine "Pour Voir" (now disappeared!). It
contains interview with Evgen Balcar, an article about Jane Evelyn Atwood's
recent work on blind children, article about strange Sophie Calle's research
gathering portraits of blind + texts by blind people + photographic
representation of the "dreamed" image expressed by blind, articles about
works of Yoshiko Murakami, Patrick Tosani, etc..
If you are interested, please contact me off-list.

And now, just do not forget that Evgen Bavcar is not an exception; story of
photography is "full"  (as son as the mid 19th century) of non seeing people
trying to capture their images of the world  with this medium ...

> Aren't we going a bit blind when shooting the way we do?
        Joao, I believe the answer is contained in the question !   :-)

Cheers from France

Jean